Friday, June 27, 2008

My NFL Fanhood is up for grabs... (part 2)

I last left off with narrowing down my choices to the Titans, Skins, and Falcons. Randy asked me in the comments section why I didn't include the Panthers in my choices. In response to that...

I have a perfectly legitimate reason that I can't cheer for the Panthers. Two words: Ross Cushnie. He is a good friend from high school who happens to be the worst UVA fan I know. Such disgust with his fanhood has overflown into the fact that I could never possibly root for the same teams that he does, and he happens to be a die-hard Panthers fan. To root for the Panthers would be to go against any and all rules of legitimate fanhood.

So with the Panthers eliminated I narrowed my teams down to three, which are now eliminated to one. I chose to eliminate the Redskins because I feel like if I actively chose not to like them as a child, I have no right to start liking them now. The Skins were Richmond's team while I was growing up, and I never rooted for them. Plus, one of the few people I liked within the organization, Joe Gibbs, is now gone. This leaves Daniel Snyder as the face of the franchise. Ugh.

I also eliminated the Titans. What was I thinking? I would have been a bandwagoner to pick this up and coming team. I didn't even like Nashville the only time I've visited.

Which leaves...


The Atlanta Falcons - maybe I never really left them in the first place. I don't know. I guess you just have to stick with your team no matter how bad things get. What almost pushed me over the edge is that they stole USC's defensive coordinator. But let's be honest, USC went ahead and stole Arkansas' DC a day later. That's just football. Also, they have a great owner in Arthur Blank, who has cleaned out the franchise of problems (many of which were, sadly, VT players). I wish they had picked up Darren McFadden in the draft, but maybe Matt Ryan will work out even if he strikes me as being no better than Joey Harrington. The franchise has the opportunity for a fresh start this year, and it's an exciting time to be a fan. I think they even have a chance to make the playoffs considering how weak the division is. So I've been with them all along - fly Falcons fly.